IBM BladeCenter Customers Benefit from Unified Switch and Adapter for End-to-End SAN/LAN Connectivity
Brocade® (NASDAQ: BRCD) today announced that it will be offering the first fully converged embedded 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) switch module and Converged Network Adapter (CNA) designed specifically for IBM BladeCenter server environments. The new converged switch module and CNA provide IBM BladeCenter customers with increased bandwidth through higher-density 8 Gbps Fibre Channel and 10 GbE port count, investment protection of their existing servers, and reduced hardware costs, along with unmatched flexibility and the scalability to grow.
The Brocade 8470 Switch Module for IBM BladeCenter and Brocade 1007 CNA for IBM BladeCenter expand Brocade’s embedded switch and adapter product line for the Data Center Bridging (DCB), Fibre Channel and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) protocols used in IBM BladeCenter environments. The Brocade 8470 switch module is the industry’s only truly converged embedded switch with both DCB and Fibre Channel ports, providing IBM BladeCenter customers with multiprotocol support that consolidates their IP and Fibre Channel I/O needs into a single switch.
The Brocade 8470 switch module and Brocade 1007 CNA are designed to deliver upon the four Brocade One™ value propositions of unmatched simplicity, non-stop networking, optimised applications and investment protection for IBM BladeCenter customers looking for a seamless path toward network convergence. Unique features include:
- Flexibility to provision SAN and/or LAN connectivity on demand using the innovative Dynamic Ports on Demand (DPoD) feature that enables customers to allocate their servers and I/O ports to match their application workloads
- Reduced number of components, cabling, power and cooling
- Entry-level price point with pay-as-you-grow capabilities
- Integrated management with IBM Systems Director and IBM BladeCenter Open Fabric Manager (BOFM)
“IT is transforming the datacenter by the continued consolidation of servers, storage and network assets through the use of technologies such as virtualisation (for servers and storage) and unified networks (based on 10 Gb Ethernet),” said Cindy Borovick, Vice President, Enterprise Communications Infrastructure and Datacenter Networks at IDC. “Brocade is introducing new products to enable customers to achieve the benefits of converged IP and Fibre Channel networks while protecting existing investments in Fibre Channel SANs and Ethernet LANs.”
“IBM and Brocade have a long-standing relationship developing products for System x and BladeCenter. The Brocade Converged Ethernet Switch Module and Converged Network Adapter give customers the capability to have a simple, flexible and converged datacenter and give customers the first solution for BladeCenter with true 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 8 Gigabit Fibre Channel ports in the same switch. This is just another example of how IBM and Brocade continue to partner on new technologies for industry leading datacenters,” said Alex Yost, Vice President and Business Line Executive for IBM System x and BladeCenter.
Pricing and Availability
The Brocade 8470 switch module and Brocade 1007 CNA have been qualified and are now available from IBM. For pricing information, please contact your local IBM representative.
- Brocade® 8470 Switch Module for IBM BladeCenter data sheet: http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/8470_Switch_Module_DS.pdf
- Brocade® 1007 Converged Network Adapter (CNA) for IBM BladeCenter data sheet: http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/1007_CNA_DS.pdf
- Video – “Brocade Converged Offerings for IBM BladeCenter”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55rJmcBumOE
- x86 blade server solutions from IBM: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/info/x86servers/unleashed/blades/index.html
Brocade® (Nasdaq: BRCD) develops extraordinary networking solutions that enable today’s complex, data-intensive businesses to optimise information connectivity and maximise the business value of their data. For more information, visit www.brocade.com.
Brocade, the B-wing symbol, BigIron, DCFM, DCX, Fabric OS, FastIron, IronView, NetIron, SAN Health, ServerIron, TurboIron, and Wingspan are registered trademarks, and Brocade Assurance, Brocade NET Health, Brocade One, Extraordinary Networks, MyBrocade, and VCS are trademarks of Brocade Communications Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or in other countries. Other brands, products, or service names mentioned are or may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
© 2010 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.