Brocade to introduce blueprint for Dynamic Network Resource Management and discuss other technology contributions at OpenStack Summit
During next week’s OpenStack Summit in Hong Kong, Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD) will discuss and demonstrate its blueprint proposal to extend the advanced networking capabilities of the OpenStack Networking framework, Neutron. The Dynamic Network Resource Manager (DNRM) blueprint is intended to simplify the deployment and management of physical and virtual networking resources within cloud infrastructures.
Public and private clouds are evolving beyond homogeneous, pooled resources as organizations seek to deliver improved efficiency and choice through multivendor support. By leveraging a native, heterogeneous approach delivered by DNRM, OpenStack cloud environments can address the needs of specific applications or services.
Highlights of the Brocade DNRM proposal include:
- Policy-based management of physical and virtual network resources from multiple vendors that will allow OpenStack Neutron to deliver operational efficiency and flexibility for Layers 3-7 of the network
- Four primary components - Supervisor, Interceptor, Plugins and Appliance Container – and several supporting elements, such as a management dashboard
- Support for emerging technologies, such as Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
- Continued work with partners of the OpenStack community to deliver DNRM capabilities as part of the Spring 2014 OpenStack release, codenamed “IceHouse”
- A proof-of-concept implementation of DNRM that will be demonstrated at the OpenStack Summit
Brocade is also updating several other OpenStack contributions in its continued drive toward open networking solutions.
Currently available Brocade contributions to OpenStack:
- Red Hat Certification of the Brocade® VCS® Fabric plugin as part of RHEL OpenStack distribution
o Red Hat Certification provides customers assurance that OpenStack-related technologies havebeen thoroughly tested and are supported by Red Hat and Brocade.
- Part of the recent OpenStack release “Havana,” the Brocade VCS plugin has been enhanced such that OpenStack now has a single logical interface to the entire Brocade Ethernet Fabric instead of interfacing with individual switches.
Proposed Brocade contributions for IceHouse Release:
- Brocade SAN Fibre Channel, Brocade ADX® Load Balancing as a Service (LBaaS) and OpenStack solution with Brocade Vyatta® vRouter plugins are planned for the Spring 2014 release.
- Code from the approved SAN Fibre Channel zone management blueprint is planned for the Spring 2014 IceHouse release.
OpenStack Summit attendees can visit Brocade booth C43 for product demonstrations. Additionally, Brocade will be leading several speaking sessions that range from customer use cases to contribution deep dives:
- Tuesday, Nov. 5
o Demo Theater – Brocade innovations with OpenStack (10:45 a.m.)
o Yahoo! Japan case study (5 p.m.)
- Thursday, Nov. 7
Ken Cheng, CTO and Vice President, Corporate Development and Emerging Business at Brocade
“Public and private clouds are evolving from basic, homogenous entities to rich, service-oriented clouds that combine best-of-breed solutions, including both physical and virtual resources. To ensure these next-generation cloud architectures properly serve customers, Brocade is continuing to expand its investment and participation in open projects such as OpenStack and OpenDaylight. It is our belief that contributions such as the Dynamic Network Resource Manager equip customers to build the next-generation services cloud to deliver the flexibility and agility it needs.”
Jonathan Bryce, Executive Director of the OpenStack Foundation
“Supporting emerging technologies and innovation in OpenStack clouds is a priority for the community, and participation from companies like Brocade will help expand our capabilities to the benefit of the whole community. As an active part of the OpenStack ecosystem, we’re pleased to see Brocade contributing to make OpenStack cloud environments easier to deploy and more flexible.”
Mike Werner, Senior Director, Global Ecosystems, Red Hat
“Key to OpenStack’s success will be a robust ecosystem of global technology leaders backing the project. We are pleased to collaborate with Brocade through Red Hat’s OpenStack partner ecosystem to advance OpenStack in the enterprise.”
Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD) networking solutions help the world’s leading organizations transition smoothly to a world where applications and information reside anywhere. (www.brocade.com)
- Brocade DNRM OpenStack proposal introduces multivendor support for provisioning physical and virtual network resources: http://bit.ly/1dg15wa
- Brocade seeks to introduce #NFV support to OpenStack with Dynamic Network Resource Manager proposal: http://bit.ly/1dg15wa
- Learn more about Brocade innovations for OpenStack at the Hong Kong Summit. Visit booth C43 for live demonstrations. http://bit.ly/1dg15wa
“Cloud Computing: Preparing for Hong Kong,” Geoff Arnold
Brocade drives NFV Innovations into OpenStack: http://youtu.be/BEJ7AMRWGA8
Brocade extends OpenStack support for Fibre Channel SAN through Zone Manager: http://youtu.be/BEUaP-aDDE8
- Brocade OpenStack Cloud Orchestration and Automation: http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/at_a_glance/brocade-openstack-cloud-orchestration-ag.pdf
- Fibre Channel Zone Manager: The Brocade OpenStack Blueprint Proposal: http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/at_a_glance/fc-zone-manager-ag.pdf
Additional Links and Tags
The On-Demand Data Center Strategy from Brocade: http://www.brocade.com/launch/on-demand-data-center/index.html?cid=lp_open_pr_00004
Brocade, OpenStack, cloud, orchestration
ADX, AnyIO, Brocade, Brocade Assurance, the B-wing symbol, DCX, Fabric OS, ICX, MLX, MyBrocade, OpenScript, VCS, VDX, and Vyatta are registered trademarks, and HyperEdge, The Effortless Network, and The On-Demand Data Center are trademarks of Brocade Communications Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or in other countries. Other brands, products, or service names mentioned may be trademarks of their respective owners.
© 2013 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.