Rich Integration with Public Cloud Services Allows Utility-Based Consumption and Automated Security Controls for DevSecOps Work Flows
Barracuda Networks, Inc. (NYSE: CUDA), a leading provider of cloud-enabled security and data protection solutions, today announced expanded public cloud functionality for the Barracuda Web Application Firewall and Barracuda NextGen Firewall. The updated cloud generation firewalls allow for utility-based consumption and automated security controls for DevSecOps workflows, giving customers an easy migration path to public cloud.
Earlier this year, Barracuda sponsored a survey revealing that more than 40 percent of respondents’ organisations are currently running a portion of their infrastructure in the public cloud. According to the survey, respondents cited easy integration with legacy technology (61%), strong protection of applications (54%), and strong protection of access to applications in the public cloud (48%) as important drivers for their cloud adoption. These organisations face an increasingly sophisticated threat landscape, as 50 percent reported being hit with some sort of cyberattack.
Barracuda Cloud Generation Firewalls give customers flexibility to cost-effectively deploy security at critical points — in the cloud, in hybrid or multi-cloud environments, and throughout the development lifecycle. New capabilities include:
- Usage-based billing using the AWS Marketplace Metering Service Billing – Barracuda NextGen Firewall is now available as a metered billing service in the AWS Marketplace, joining the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, which became available with the same service last year. AWS Marketplace Metering Service Billing ensures that all evaluation, pricing and provisioning is done entirely within the AWS Marketplace, removing any licensing friction and offering a pricing structure based on actual traffic secured. Customers are able to build CI/CD pipelines that include their ISV partner solutions, and charges are based on the total bandwidth consumed across deployed firewalls and standard Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) charges per instance.
- DevSecOps with Puppet – The REST API framework can be used to automate the configuration of the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, which now includes Puppet integration within AWS, making it easier for customers to integrate security controls into their cloud native applications on AWS. This integration enables cloud security and operations teams to codify their firewall policies as code so they can be tested and secured as part of the overall application delivery process. Puppet maintains the desired state of the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, automatically remediates unauthorised changes, and enables security teams to quickly identify and remediate known vulnerabilities. This benefits the business because it helps increase application velocity, security and reliability.
“Perimeter-based firewalls create tightly-coupled environments that scale vertically, which makes perfect sense on-premises, but is entirely the wrong model for the public cloud. This is really about using the right tool for the job,” said Tim Jefferson, vice president, public cloud, Barracuda.
“Customers should look to automate the orchestration, deployment, and configuration of security architectures that are loosely coupled and scale elastically. In today’s hybrid environments, customers need consistent security across on-premises and cloud-based environments — Barracuda Cloud Generation Firewalls help address this requirement.”
Barracuda Cloud Generation Firewalls are engineered to provide network and application security for cloud-only and hybrid-cloud environments. These solutions provide cloud-specific features including metered billing, API support for DevSecOps teams, fully meshed connectivity and scalability to help organisations align security with their cloud deployments.
Organisations looking for scalability and automation benefits of the public cloud should demand cloud generation firewall functionality, including:
- Well-architected for the public cloud – Integrate directly with public cloud fabric, provide API integrations for DevOps tools and automation workflows, and centrally manage across hybrid environments. This gives customers all the benefits of the cloud without compromising their security posture.
- Support for cloud-specific use cases – Support unique requirements of the cloud including horizontal scalability, distributed policy sets, fully meshed connectivity, and north-south traffic management. Meeting these requirements allows customers to leverage the benefits of cloud automation around deployment, auto-scaling, high-availability, networking and monitoring.
- Match customer’s cloud consumption models – Licensing that allows customers to deploy security in alignment with their current public cloud consumption model.
“Real-time, proactive security throughout the development process is critical for tighter application security in today’s threat environment,” Samm DiStasio, vice president, business development, Puppet. “Barracuda is our first security partner in public cloud to help us bridge the security gap in DevOps. Our integration with Barracuda Web Application Firewall helps speed up application delivery by automating management of critical security policies.”
“We are using Barracuda firewalls provisioned through the AWS Marketplace to effectively guard our applications against web-based attacks and application-layer attacks,” said Max Longin, Founding Partner, Club Automation. “The Barracuda solution plugs into our AWS environment, and is doing its job of minimising the attack surface area and helping our customers keep club member cardholder data protected.”
Barracuda Blog – What is a Cloud Generation Firewall?
Barracuda Blog – Q and A with Tim Jefferson, vice president, public cloud, Barracuda
About Barracuda Networks, Inc. (NYSE: CUDA)
Barracuda (NYSE: CUDA) simplifies IT with cloud-enabled solutions that empower customers to protect their networks, applications and data, regardless of where they reside. These powerful, easy-to-use and affordable solutions are trusted by more than 150,000 organisations worldwide and are delivered in appliance, virtual appliance, cloud and hybrid deployment configurations. Barracuda's customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions that provide end-to-end network and data protection. For additional information, please visit barracuda.com.
Barracuda Networks, Barracuda, and the Barracuda Networks logo are registered trademarks of Barracuda Networks, Inc. in the US and other countries.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding the potential benefits, performance, and functionality of Barracuda Web Application Firewall and Barracuda NextGen Firewall and their operation in cloud environments, including AWS, Azure and Google Cloud Platform. You should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements because they involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that are, in some cases, beyond the Company’s control and that could cause the Company’s results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Factors that could materially affect the Company’s business and financial results include, but are not limited to customer response to the Company’s products, as well as those factors set forth in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Company expressly disclaims any intent or obligation to update the forward-looking information to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after.